Implementing contextualized assessment and intervention approaches for the inpatient rehabilitation of adults with cognitive-communication impairments post-TBI
Communication Competence is the Goal.
Context is the key.
Project Lead: Carol Di Salle
Project Purpose: The target outcome of the project was to implement contextualized assessment and intervention approaches for the inpatient rehabilitation of adults with cognitive-communication impairments post-TBI, while simultaneously avoiding over-reliance on standardized tests.
About the project
The project lead conducted a thorough literature review to compare ONF’s Clinical Practice Guideline to other key documents guiding speech-language pathology practice for adults with cognitive communication disorders post-TBI. SLP’s were cautioned against the over-reliance on standardized tests and trained using how-to examples of contextualized interventions. The pre-implementation audit of SLP practices served as a baseline measuring tool to compare against the post-implementation results.
This transition away from standardized tests towards contextualized interventions provided patients the opportunity to rehearse their communication skills in situations appropriate to the context in which the patient with TBI lives, work, studies, or socializes.
- College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO) Practice Standards and Guidelines for the Acquired Cognitive Communication Disorders Oct 2015
- HSN – Summary of Key Readings with Evidence for K 2.6
- F-K 2.6 Contextualized Assessment & Treatment Resources & Tools July 2019
- Rehabilitation Interventions for TBI: What Works Best for Whom? – Webinar by Jennifer Bogner
- References for Implementation K 2.6
- Ontario Association of Speech-Language Pathologists & Audiologists (OSLA) Cognitive Communication Toolkit
- The TBI Comparative Effectiveness of Rehabilitation Study by Jennifer Bogner
- Comparative Effectiveness of TBI Inpatient Rehabilitation by PCORI
- Limitations of Standardized Testing for Assessment of Communication Ability post TBI, 2017
- SLP Health Records Chart Audit re: Adherence to Recommendations K1.1 and K2.6 of the CPG for the Rehab of Adults with Mod-to-Sev. TBI (ONF-INESS 2016)
- SLP Integrated Summary Intervention Report Template
- Contextualized Communication Project Feasibility Survey
- Measurement of Practice Change – Goal Attainment Scale (Clinical Version)
- Measurement of Practice Change – Goal Attainment Scale (Project Lead Version)
- Patient Experience Survey