The Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation (ONF) is a not-for-profit research organization with a mission to improve the quality of life for those living with an acquired brain or spinal cord injury and to prevent these injuries in the first place.
ONF may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from February 2013.
We are dedicated to ensuring your confidentiality by protecting the personal information you provide to us. That commitment is fundamental to the way we do business and is reflected in our privacy policies, which we have developed to comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”) and the guidelines and principles it prescribes.
In addition to the principles and guidelines of PIPEDA, the collection and use of your personal information may be affected by any contractual agreements that you may have directly with ONF.
Identifying the purpose of collecting personal information
When you interact with ONF we may sometimes receive personal information about you. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual such as someone’s name, home address, home phone number, personal email address, social insurance number, gender, income or family status. Personal information also includes donation information or health information such as spinal cord or acquired brain injury information. In order to achieve its mission, ONF may request the following types of personal information:
- Contact information including name, address, phone number, and email;
- Financial information required to process donations;
- Spinal cord injury and acquired brain injury information;
- Personal information required in connection with applications for funding;
- Photographs to use in future publications including: newsletters, registration forms, and on our website;
- Personal stories (which are voluntarily provided); and
- Other information you voluntarily submit.
- We will also collect ‘aggregate information’ through the use of ‘cookies’ (see “Cookies” below) to monitor the use of this website. Typically, we collect information about the number of visitors to this website and to each web page and the originating domain names of visitors’ Internet Service Providers.
- What we do with the information we gather
- ONF collects and uses personal information for purposes necessary to fulfill its mission and to comply with any legal requirements. This includes but is not limited to the following purposes:
- To share information about ONF with stakeholders and those who may be interested in our activities;
- To track and issue tax receipts for donations received in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency requirements;
- To establish, build, and maintain relationships;
- To process financial transactions, including donations;
- To determine the eligibility of an individual or community to receive a grant and/or to issue grants;
- To periodically send you emails relating to agency news or information which we think you may find interesting, using the email address you have provided;
- In the case of photographs, for use in our publications, including newsletters, registration forms or on our website;
- To share personal stories in relation to ONF, including those regarding acquired brain injury (ABI) and spinal cord injury (SCI) in general;
- To give donor recognition where permission to do so has been granted by the donor; and
- To improve our ability to attain the objectives set out in our mission.
We also use aggregate information to understand the use of this website and may share it with other third parties who are assisting us in the development of this website.
We may monitor customer traffic patterns and website usage to help us to improve the design and layout of this website and personalise your experience by tailoring the content you see, thus optimising your experience.
We may also perform statistical analysis on our members’ accounts to determine, among other things, how many of them are active, how frequently they are used and how many of our website’s members are registered with. We may also obtain information about your opinions if, for example, you send us feedback or ask us questions.
We may disclose personal information in order to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Obtaining your consent
ONF will not collect, use or disclose an individual’s personal information without their knowledge and consent except in certain instances where permitted by law.
Individuals or organizations applying for funding from ONF are cautioned that by applying for funding, they consent that their name, organizational affiliation, the amount and length of research funded and other information regarding the research project may be disclosed if funding is approved. ONF does not publish the personal information of those who were not approved for funding.
ONF will require individuals to consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information only if such collection, use or disclosure is required to fulfill the identified purpose.
ONF will determine the type of consent required based on the type of information collected, its intended use and the sensitivity of the information. In the case of photographs, videos or other images which are taken at events held by ONF, we will request your approval prior to use.
Consent may be expressed or implied, given orally, electronically or in writing.
An individual may withdraw consent at any time on sufficient notice to ONF subject to legal and contractual limitations by contacting us at the at the address provided below. The individual will be notified by ONF of the implications of this withdrawal.
Limiting Collection of Personal Information
ONF will limit the collection of your personal information to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by ONF. This information will be collected by fair and lawful means at all times.
Limiting use, disclosure and retention of Personal Information
Your personal information will not be used or disclosed by ONF for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Your personal information will be retained only as long as reasonably necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes or as required by law.
Ensuring the accuracy of Personal Information
We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that personal information of individuals is kept accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purpose for which it is to be used.
We will make reasonable efforts to obtain information from individuals in order to update information on hand if required to fulfill the purpose for which the information was collected. If we are informed that your personal information is incorrect, we will update this information as soon as possible.
We will not update your personal information without your consent.
We are committed to ensuring your information is secure. To prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
We will ensure all employees of ONF and its affiliates are aware of the importance of maintaining confidentiality of personal information and will be trained as how to safeguard this information. Employees of ONF are required to abide by this policy.
When you use this website, you will receive cookies. These are both session cookies and third-party cookies. If you would like to learn more about cookies, visit www.aboutcookies.org, which contains comprehensive information on how to accept or decline cookies on a wide variety of browsers.
Use of Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses
ONF uses IP addresses to assist in diagnosing server problems. We reserve the right to perform statistical analyses of user behaviour and characteristics, to measure interest in and user traffic patterns to the various sections of our website, to prevent abuse in our online forums, and to help us improve design, layout and navigation.
Links to Other Websites
The ONF website contains links to other websites that may be of interest to the visitor to our site. By providing these linkages, ONF is not responsible for the privacy practices, content, transactions, and functioning of the linkages of these sites. Users submitting information to these third party websites should review the privacy statements of these sites before providing them with personally identifiable information.
Policy Updates and Changes
Openness Concerning Policies and Practices
You may obtain specific information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information by contacting us at the address below.
Please clearly state on all communication your name, your username and the name of this website. A small administration fee may be payable.
Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation
90 Eglinton Ave E. Suite 601
Toronto, Ontario, M4P 2Y3
For quality control and training purposes, we may monitor or record your communications with us.
Federal Privacy Commissioner
112 Kent Street
Place de Ville Tower B, 3rd Floor
Toll free: 1-800-282-1376